Before you book those plane tickets to somewhere far away, check out our favourite March Break activities right here in Charlottetown. There’s lots to keep your family moving & grooving (and happy!) with plenty to do and hidden gems at every corner throughout the city. Check out our 22 favourites activities for you and your family to do to create lasting memories this March break.
1) PLAN A STAYCATION – Our incredible hotel partners have a ton of awesome March Break packages on that will keep the whole family bopping from morning until night! A room just for the kids? Roasting marshmallows? Zipping down a waterslide? Count us in!
2) SPEND THE AFTERNOON AT OWL’S HOLLOW PLAYLAND – Located just off Capital Drive, Owl’s Hollow is a popular store that specializes in award-winning toys and games for children. They also have an indoor playland in the lower level that’s filled with lots of toys and games for children of all ages to let their imaginations run wild.
3) GET YOUR BOWL ON AT THE ALLEY – For an afternoon of glow bowling and delicious food & drink, look no further than The Alley. Great for all ages, with super stylish shoes, spinning disco balls, big screen TVs and bangin’ music! Bowling is $15/person for a 75-minute session, with a special $10 rate on Thursday.
They usually book up quickly for March Break, so call 902-892-7311 or email [email protected] to reserve your lanes now!
4) BOARD GAMES, POTTERY PAINTING & MORE AT HIVE + HONEYCOMB – PEI’s first board game café is spread out over two levels on Grafton Street and has over 700 games to choose from, paint-your-own pottery, local craft beers on tap, and a variety of snacks to keep you fueled and happy! Pro tip: Try their famous milkshakes – they may or may not blow your mind.
5) GET CREATIVE WITH EAST COAST ART PARTY – Offering a variety of March Break Art Party Kids Camps (including full week, full-day, and half-day options) with different themes each day, your little ones will have a ball letting their inner artist out to play!
6) SPLASH THE DAY AWAY AT BELL ALIANT CENTRE – The Bell Aliant Centre aquatics facility at the University of Prince Edward Island has an extensive complex that features three pools, a hot tub, a huge slide, diving boards, and much more. You really can’t go wrong spending your day splashing indoors and zipping down the waterslide.
7) PLENTY OF OUTDOOR FUN – Get a workout in and do some sightseeing at the same time with nordic (cross-country) or downhill skiing! Within city limits, the Confederation Trail, the Acadian Forest Trails (off Riverside Drive), and Belvedere Golf Club, offers groomed trails perfect for a short, easy ski, or head out to Mark Arendz Provincial Ski Park where you can rent traditional downhill skis, cross-country skis or skate skis, and enjoy gorgeous trails that take you through peaceful forests and fields.
8) FLOW IN THE SNOW – Particpate in outdoor yoga on Saturdays at 11:30am outside of Founders’ Food Hall & Market. Discover an all-new way to experience yoga in the snow and stretch out those winter kinks. It’s FREE and family-friendly! Happening until March 19th.
10) CATCH A FLICK – Whether it’s an indie movie or classic film, City Cinema, the city’s independent, not-for-profit theatre, has all kinds of options within the downtown core. #Protip – The concessions are very reasonably priced, it’s licensed, and the popcorn is a MUST!
12) GET COZY – Head to your favourite coffee shop to warm up and sip a coffee or hot chocolate during your Charlottetown adventures.
13) FEED YOUR BOOKWORM WAYS – The Bookmark, an independent bookstore in the Confederation Court Mall specializing in local and Atlantic Canadian authors. Queen Street also features a few other used book stores all within walking distance – it’s a bookworm’s paradise!
15) GO ON A SCAVENGER HUNT – Explore the city on foot while hunting for the various Eckhart the Mouse characters hidden throughout the downtown core! Your kiddies will delight in seeing these adorable mice decked out in their winter gear.
16) BUILD A SNOW FAMILY – Victoria Park or any of the City squares are the perfect spots to get creative in the great outdoors. Share your artistic accomplishments with the world by snapping a pic and tagging #discovercharlottetown
17) DINE IN A SNOW POD – John Brown Richmond St Grille, Charlottetown Beer Garden, and The Pilot House all now have unique outdoor dining options. Be sure to make a reservation in advance to avoid disappointment!
18) TO MARKET, WE GO! Hit up Founders’ Food Hall & Market, a waterfront oasis for food lovers and local art enthusiasts of all ages. Located in one of the city’s most stunning historic spaces, this urban market features several local food vendors serving up high-quality food & drink, including wood-fired pizza, yummy burgers, vegan cuisine, authentic Mexican offerings, gourmet sandwiches, French-Carribean flavours, and everyone’s favourite gourmet donuts at Doughnuts by Design. The Charlottetown Farmers’ Market is also a go-to fav on Saturdays!
19) HEAD OUT SNOWSHOEING – Take advantage of complimentary snowshoes available to guests at many of our accommodation partners. Head out exploring the city after a snowfall or drive to the countryside and explore the many trails beyond the city limits. You can also borrow snowshoes from the City of Charlottetown Mon-Fri from 8:30am – 4:30pm. Check out our Snowshoes in the City Guide here.
20) WORK ON YOUR SWING – All About Golf‘s HD golf simulator is located in the Confederation Court Mall. Rain or shine — you can practice and improve your game all year ’round by booking one of their simulator rooms. Kids welcome until 9pm (must be accompanied by an adult). Or head to the lower level to check out the newest addition to All About Golf, their indoor putting & chipping facility. It features a 900 square foot 5-hole putting green, 18 holes of championship putting, and a chipping green.
21) BALLOON TWISTING & FACE PAINTING PARTY – Head to the Confederation Court Mall for their Balloon Twisting and Face Painting Parties on Saturday, March 12th and Saturday, March 19th from 1-3pm. Free to attend! Please note that Part-T-Perfect staff are well trained and will follow strict COVID protocols for your safety.
22) REGISTER FOR ART CAMP – There are two different March Break Kids Camps at Confederation Centre of the Arts:
March Break Camp: Visual Arts (Schurman Family Studio) – This fun-filled week is open to artists of all levels, as we explore a variety of art styles including drawing, painting, sculpture, crafts, and more! In addition to in-studio activities, students will experience a guided tour through the Art Gallery to inspire their imaginations as they create their very own masterpieces. Ages 6-12. March 14-18 | 9AM-4PM | $200
Contact: [email protected]
March Break Camp: Musical Theatre (Studio 1) – Students will spend the week exploring their talents in Musical Theatre as we explore singing, acting, dancing, and more! Students of all levels will get a chance to experience life under the lights as they learn what it takes to become a triple threat. Ages 6-12. March 14-18 | 9AM-4PM | $200
Contact: [email protected]
And there you have it. Who says you need to get away to have fun? Charlottetown has everything you need to keep your family moving & grooving (and happy!) this March Break.