1. Book yourself a staycation to experience the magic of Charlottetown when she’s dressed in her wintery best. Many of our lovely accommodation partners have special winter packages on and are excited to make all your staycation dreams come true.
2. Experience the Ice City Festival Feb 4 – March 6, a month-long festival and features incredible, Covid-friendly indoor & outdoor signature events & activities for all ages. Programming details to be announced very soon!
3. Embrace the charm of the great outdoors by enjoying a hot drink in one of the many red Adirondack chairs on patios throughout Charlottetown.
4. Grab your skates and hit one of the city’s outdoor skating rinks.
5. Feed your inner bookworm at The Bookmark, an independent bookstore in the Confederation Court Mall specializing in local and Atlantic Canadian authors.
6. Split a bottle of wine with a fellow wine lover during Wine Wednesdays at Marc’s Lounge or drop by the next night for Cocktail Thursdays.
7. Create a masterpiece at East Coast Art Party.
8. Get a workout in and do some sightseeing at the same time with nordic (cross-country) or downhill skiing! Within city limits, the Confederation Trail offers groomed trails perfect for a short, easy ski, or head out to Mark Arendz Provincial Ski Park where you can rent traditional downhill skis, cross-country skis or skate skis, and enjoy gorgeous trails that take you through peaceful forests and fields.
9. Have a games night, paint pottery, and enjoy delicious snacks & shakes at Hive and Hollow.
10. Participate in Snoga in the Park on Saturdays at 11:30am outside of Founders’ Food Hall & Market. Discover an all-new way to experience yoga in the snow and stretch out those winter kinks. It’s FREE and family-friendly!
11. Visit the Charlottetown Farmers’ Market on Saturdays for local goods, hot food, and lots of friendly chats with local vendors.
12. Head to the Old Triangle on Thursday evenings and Sunday afternoons for their Traditional Tunes session led by Island musicians with mad fiddle skills. Fellow musicians (+19) are welcome to join the party. They also have live music most Fridays and Saturday nights!
13. Keep an eye on the Confederation Centre of the Arts‘ social media and website for their fabulous live entertainment over the coming months or drop by the Confederation Centre Art Gallery to view their rotating selection of impressive national art.
14. Plan a night out around the downtown with friends or a date – try one resto for apps, another for your mains, and then hop to a final destination for dessert or a nightcap.
15. Treat yourself to a spa day at Pure Spa or Grand Senses Spa.
16. Catch an indie movie or classic film at City Cinema, the city’s independent, not-for-profit theatre. #Protip – The concessions are very reasonably priced, it’s licensed, and the popcorn is a MUST!
17. Eat, drink and BOWL at The Alley – be sure to make reservations in advance to avoid disappointment.
18. Grab your camera (or your phone!) and take a self-guided walking tour of Charlottetown.
19. Check out the line-up of live music taking place all winter long at the Trailside Music Hall.
20. Plan an impromptu pub crawl and check out local hot spots with impressive selections like Craft Beer Corner, Hop Yard, Merchantman Pub, John Brown Richmond Street Grille, PEI Brewing Company, Upstreet Craft Brewing (who now offer Piatto’s pizza!), and Red Island Cider.
21. Work on your swing at All About Golf located in the Confederation Court Mall.
22. Sip a coffee or hot chocolate, and people-watch at one of our numerous cafés downtown.
23. Climb to new heights on the Red Rock Climbing Wall in Stratford.
24. Head to Red Shores Racetrack and Casino and try your hand at a game of Texas Hold ‘Em poker or check out the live and simulcast horse racing and cheer on your favourites!
25. Get your trivia on! During the winter, Charlottetown transforms into a trivia town, with several bars and pubs hosting trivia throughout the week. Check out The Buzz for trivia listings or inquire at individual spots including Hunter’s Ale House, Churchill Arms, The Old Triangle, PEI Brewing Company, and The Fox & Crow at UPEI.
26. Get your bubble together for a friendly game of axe-throwing at Chuck Hatchets, a new lounge in downtown Charlottetown.
27. Go for a horse-drawn sleigh ride through the woods with Great Northern Adventures (call 894-7558 to book).
28. Explore the city on foot while hunting for the various Eckhart the Mouse characters hidden throughout the downtown core! Your kiddies will delight in seeing these adorable mice decked out in their winter gear.
29. Feed your inner foodie during Downtown Charlottetown Inc’s WinterDine Festival, which sees chefs around the city whipping up delicious and unique three-course menus (from mid January to early February, seven days/week).
30. Build a snow family at Victoria Park or in one of the City squares! Share your artistic accomplishments with the world by snapping a pic and tagging #discovercharlottetown
31. While away some time perusing the extensive collection of vinyl records at Charlottetown’s beloved hub for the local music community, Back Alley Music.
32. Have a magical time painting your own pottery or taking a mixology course at Hive + Hollow.
33. Grab a pint of local brew at staff prices any Wednesday in January at The Gahan House and enjoy live, acoustic music by local talents starting at 8pm.
34. Bring your fatbike along and enjoy 10km of groomed trails accessible via the nordic lodge at Mark Arendz Provincial Ski Park.
35. Give your body a stretch and/or sweat it out with hot yoga classes and other group fitness classes at Modo Yoga, Charlottetown Yoga Space, Infrared Fitness, or Stride PEI.
36. Take a dive off the deep end, climb the Tarzan rope, or wade your way into the leisure pool at the Bell Aliant Centre pool, located at the UPEI campus (re-opening Jan 11).
37. Head to the city’s black box theatre, The Guild, for comedy improv nights with the Popalopalots. Be sure to visit the gallery on the lower level, where rotating exhibitions of local art are on display.
38. Art lovers and culture seekers will want to take some time to visit the Confederation Centre Art Gallery. This national gallery features Canadian artists in a mix of traditional and contemporary forms and makes for a perfect morning or afternoon outing. Admission by donation.
39. Get your fill of shopping in Charlottetown’s downtown core, which is filled with independent shops and artisan boutiques, as well as the Shops of Confederation Court Mall.
40. Pack a lunch, hop in the car and explore one or more of the Island’s coastal drives all dressed up in winter whites. Psssst – Kent Street Market, Farmacy + Fermentary, and Riverview Country Market are great for stocking up on road trip-friendly eats.
41. Grab a hot drink and take a stroll on foot to marvel at the gorgeous Victorian Homes, thoughtful pops of colour, and restored heritage buildings throughout the downtown core. Streets like West Street, Green Street, Pownal Street, and Prince and Hillsborough Streets, to name just a few, have lots of beautiful homes worth creeping.
42. Dine in a snow pod! John Brown Richmond St Grille and The Pilot House both now have unique outdoor dining options. Be sure to make a reservation in advance to avoid disappointment!
43. Hit up Founders’ Food Hall & Market, a waterfront oasis for food lovers and local art enthusiasts. Located in one of the city’s most stunning historic spaces, this urban market features several local food vendors serving up high-quality food & drink, including craft beer, locally-roasted coffee, vegan cuisine, wood-fired pizza, yummy burgers, and gourmet donuts.
44. Take advantage of complimentary snowshoes available to guests at many of our accommodation partners. Head out exploring the city after a snowfall or drive to the countryside and explore the many trails beyond the city limits. Check out our Snowshoes in the City Guide here.